Have you ever looked at pictures of yourself and noticed that the fine lines beside your eyes appear more prominent in snaps with you laughing or smiling widely? Whilst laughter may be the best medicine, there’s no denying that it contributes to the appearance or deepening of those telltale signs of ageing that creep up on your face as you age.
The wrinkles that form around the corners of the eyes are known as crow’s feet and often more aptly referred to as ‘laughter lines’. Although such lines are completely healthy, normal and natural, you may wish to take steps to reduce their appearance and extend your youthful glow for as long as you can. Whether you want a natural remedy or a little help from an antiwrinkle treatment, follow our tips for the most effective ways to reduce the appearance of crow’s feet.
What causes wrinkles around the eye area?
Crow’s feet are typically caused by the natural ageing process and are more likely to occur as the skin becomes thinner and less elastic over time. However, crow’s feet can also be caused or worsened by a number of lifestyle factors, including extended sun exposure, smoking and repetitive facial expressions. Although lines and wrinkles around the eye area can often be regarded negatively, the issue is primarily cosmetic, as they are a normal part of the ageing process and are not necessarily a sign of poor health. Still, many people may choose to use creams, serums or other antiwrinkle treatments to reduce the appearance of crow’s feet. Leading a healthy lifestyle can also prevent the premature appearance of facial wrinkles.
How to prevent and treat crow’s feet
There are several ways to reduce the appearance of crow’s feet, including natural methods and antiwrinkle treatments. Some of the most effective remedies include:
- Maintaining a nutrient-rich diet – Since the skin is the largest organ in your body, what you eat can have a huge impact on your overall skin health. There are certain foods that are especially effective in supporting collagen production, fighting inflammation and reducing oxidative stress. The combination of these factors can help to keep your skin smooth, moisturised and youthful for longer. Foods to include as part of a healthy balanced diet include Omega-3 fatty acids such as fatty fish, walnuts and flaxseeds and protein-rich meat such as chicken and turkey.
- Hydrating inside and out – Drinking water certainly isn’t a quick fix, but keeping yourself consistently hydrated through a combination of fluids and nourishing moisturisers will help set your skin up for long-term success and a complexion that remains healthy-looking as you age. We recommend drinking at least eight glasses of water per day (more in hot weather or if you exercise frequently) to keep your skin looking and feeling fresh and clear.
- A retinol eye cream – Retinol is a type of vitamin A that is commonly used in skincare products to help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles by increasing the production of collagen, which helps to keep the skin smooth and elastic. A retinol eye cream can offer targeted support to the delicate area that surrounds the eyes. Retinol is a potent ingredient, so you may wish to consider starting with a lower-strength product and gradually increasing the strength as your skin becomes accustomed to it.
- Botulinum toxin injections – Botox works by temporarily paralysing the muscles in the affected area and resulting in a smoother, more youthful appearance. When the injections are administered, a small amount of the toxin is injected into the targeted muscles using a very fine needle. The toxin then blocks the release of a chemical called acetylcholine, which is responsible for activating the muscles that cause wrinkles.
- Dermal fillers – Dermal fillers are injectable antiwrinkle treatments that plump up the skin and smooth out wrinkles. Hyaluronic acid is injected below the surface of the skin using a fine needle. The effects of dermal fillers are usually immediate, and the results can last for several months to over a year, depending on the type of filler used and the individual’s skin.
- Laser skin resurfacing – can help to stimulate collagen production and improve the texture and tone of the skin, reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. With results lasting for around three to five years, patients benefit from a more permanent solution to crow’s feet.
- Blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery) – This popular procedure removes excess skin and fat from the upper and lower eyelids, smoothing out wrinkles and rejuvenating the appearance of the eyes. As a surgical procedure with permanent results, it’s important that you are completely certain about the risks involved and expected results before undergoing this antiwrinkle treatment.
With so many ways to reduce the appearance of laughter lines, it’s worth weighing up your options to assess which remedy is best suited to your needs and aesthetic goals. Whether you opt for a natural method or cosmetic procedure, taking good care of the delicate skin on your face and particularly around your eyes, is the best way to keep your complexion at its best.